Fall Home Maintenance
Every home and business owner should get their roof inspected at least twice a year as a preventative for what could turn into serious damage. The best times to get a roof inspection are right before summertime and then again in the fall before the leaves completely fall off the trees and before the cold weather is in full swing.
Hiring a licensed professional to inspect your roof for any wear and tear will give you peace of mind as you go through the upcoming winter months, especially when the snow and ice arrive.
Below are some helpful tips to prepare your home for winter:
- Have your roof inspected by a licensed professional to look for any shingles that are curling, buckling or crackling because these will need to be replaced. If there is a lot of damage it is ideal to get yourroof replaced prior to the winter season.
- Have the professional you hire look for wind, hail or other types of damage that could be used to file an insurance claim.
- Have them also check the flashing around skylights, pipes andchimneys because if there are evident gaps, the heavy snow will find its way in.
- Inspect your gutters and downspouts to ensure there are no granules, leaves or debris that could cause blockage or cause runoff not to flow properly.
- You can also prevent pricey disasters by trimming the large tree branches that are leaning towards your home before the weight of snow or ice weighs them down and causes them to fall on the roof and cause damage.